Sunday, April 11, 2010

Excuse me, I cannot fit through a 2 foot wide area with flags on either side!

Well, well, well don't I have lots to talk about!?!



(Clif as a 4 year old at his 2nd novice, he was jumping the middle fence, the outside is the preliminary....)




This weekend was Chatt Hills just outside of Atlanta, GA (actually it's where I grew up until I was 6, something like going home I suppose). Chatt Hills has to be one of the most gorgeous pieces of land in the country; there are rolling hills, big trees, rivers, brand new barns and brand new arenas... creating happy horses and happy people!


Friday was a nice quiet arrival day. Tess and Clif both were really happy in their stalls. I rode Tess first, she was really quite good....she had people telling her how much they liked her, making her even more happy! She did not even neigh until she was back at the barn, not sure the point of that, but whatever you don't ask questions you do not want the answer too. I got on Clif for a few minutes, he was really good. I must admit watching the other intermediate and advanced horses I was a bit nervous our flatwork was not going to be up to snuff. But just when you start doubting yourself....Buck Davidson told me he was a really lovely horse and wanted to know a bit about him...how about that for a pick me up!?!? Maybe that's what I should do...start tape recording positive things that are said about my horses and play them while I ride..except I really cannot get the hang of that whole Ipod while riding thing..but then again maybe that is because if a trutle moves Clif will bolt off. I will give Clif that credit as well, I now know my hearing is in prime condition, at least while hacking :).


Saturday was quite busy! The little princess was actually semi-normal for her dressage! She was by no means ridable or great, but she was cooperative. Cooperative is something I will take! From cooperative you can go to good, from good you can go to ridable, from ridable you can go to great. One step at a time I suppose, poor Tess she hates those STUPID DETAILS..who cares about bending and lateral work..I mean really!?!?!? Clif was really relaxed and supple for his warm-up..even I was impressed with him, not that that is too unusual though I guess. He had a minor explosion in the warm up when a horse came directly at him (even though he was 40 ft away!) and had yet another explosion when the judge rang the bell behind him as I trotted by...love those off the track horses (actually I do, they are fun!). Clif was really good about calming down, which I was very proud of him for. His test was really quite solid considering how green we both are, not bad for the first one! The test just lacked the accuracy and brilliance that we are both capable of giving, which is unfortunate, but hey we will figure it out! Our judge was Brian Ross (who is a fairly tough judge), he seemed to really like Clif, yay! We got a 38 which put in 8th out of about 16 or so...Clif even got a few 8's..one was on his canter to walk transition!



Cross country was also on Saturday. I was lucky enough to walk the courses with Buck Davidson, as Sharon White was not there this weekend and let's face it, I need guidance! Sharon recommended Buck..he was really great to walk with. He and Sharon are very much alike so it was good to keep giving me confidence about what I was doing. The courses looked good. The prelimb was nice with a few serious questions....my eyes about came out of my head at one thing we had to do! (If I ever figure out technology I will be sure to post the XC Video of tess!). The intermediate was good as well..sharing quite a few tables with the advanced, having some great gallopy fences and a few technical questions. Tess was first out on XC; she was a superstar! I am so proud of her..and actually quite proud of me, I tried riding her a new way that is a bad foreign to me, but she loved it (and since this is somewhat like a marriage when she's happy, I'm happy :)!). She answered every question like she was going beginner novice; it's so nice to sit on a horse who is capable of so much and is finally figuring out life. She was a bit slow, but that was intentional due to her two weeks off from various Princess Mishaps. Clif went out next. He warmed up well, a bit quiet and relaxed, which at the time I welcomed! He started the course great. He jumped the first technical questions awesome, it was a big vertical log downhill on an angle to a skinny, he was perfect. The next questions did not go to well, I took my eye of the skinny or put my shoulders forward (or probably both!) and we missed, came back around and just jumped it alone and well. He continued on to jump the max tables really well, and quiet. We then came to a little table to a pretty skinny corner. He ran out again at the corner and then took off; so I stopped took a breath, came around again only to have him run out again. After that I retired..weird feeling walking off the course with Clif! He is not a course to run out...ever, I actually have never had a run out with him on XC, I've had a few stops at prelimb (like 2, and one bad go this fall that was completely my fault). In hindsight, I'm not sure he was feeling well, he never got his "HA, I'm going to ran away now!" attitude he gets, he just quietly galloped around, which at the time I was grateful for. Hindsight is 20/20. After talking to Sharon and watching the video, Clif will be headed to the vet in the morning just make sure there is nothing going on even though is sound.


Sunday was the ever so exciting show jumping. Seriously, if you ever want to see the carnage of eventing it comes on the Sunday after cross country. I don't know why this happens, but it makes me appreciate the horses I have even more. Brian Ross was also the TD and was nice enough to allow me to show jump, what a nice guy! The show jumping was quite big, it was a really nice course, just big! Clif jumped sooo well, he tried so hard. I did not give him the best ride unfortunately for him. We had two rails...I just missed my striding to an oxer, it was apparently a nice 4...i got there in a short 4..duh Hillary go somewhere! The next was at a skinny vertical, I completely picked that whole way up to it...fairly sure that is the #1 rule of show jumping, DO NOT PICK TO A VERTICAL, especially one that is like 3'7'' or bigger! Overall, he got several cookies and big pats for his effort..he saved me over the hardest fence on the course. Good Clif..almost makes up for yesterday......but yet, it doesn't! ha! Tess was sitting in 5th going into SJ (good pony!). She jumped well, she finally was backed off when the jumps were very scary and 3' 7''...she actually jumps so much better when the jumps gets big because she pays attention! We had 1 rail...it was a bit too bad, but it was a pretty mutual thing, I should have really told her no when she ran through my half halt and she should have attempted to listen!

All in all though it was a fabulous weekend for Tess. I am very very proud of the princess. I am actually really happy with Clif's dressage and show jumping, while the XC was disappointing we will figure it out and try again later. We are heading to Loudon HT where both horses will run the Preliminary, it was a planned Prelimb run for Clif, but turns out he needs it! This will also be Miss Tess's last real run before her debut at the CCI* level at VA Horse Trials in May! Go Tess!

Everyone take care and appreciate your horse even when it does not go as planned :)-





Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment