Saturday, March 6, 2010

Gearing up!

I hope everyone is enjoying this lovely weather we're having, I am!!!! It's great for horse washing, trailer washing, truck washing and avoiding frost bite!


The horses are super. Everyone is getting ready to head south to Full Gallop Horse Trials this weekend. I will be heading down early to get jump and flat lessons with Sharon White on Thursday and Friday. (Quick side note: If you have never had to the chance to ride with Sharon...RIDE WITH SHARON. She's great, positive and has such an incredible way with every horse.) I am very excited to actually compete and be prepared! Although Clif and Tess both did Pinetop over Valentine's day (they were so so so good), they had not really been able to do any serious flat work or consistant jumping all winter. So it should be really fun to have them ready to show off...which, no doubt, they will be both very interested in doing if there are cookies involved!


Clif is going great. He is lovely on the flat, being really quiet. My goal for every ride, more like every stride, is bouncy ears..so I look like a bit of a weirdo talking to myself while sitting trot going "bouncy ears bouncy ears bouncy ears", but whatever it is working! He knows all the tricks now! How fun! Clif has also gotten to jump big which pleases him, not much does so I make the most of what makes him happy (cookies...cookies are a vital tool for any successful relationship :) ).

Everyone got a bath this weekend. I gave the princess her bath, then went to get Clif. Clif and Sammy (My good friends retired horse who is the resident expert on three days!) were no where to be found...they have mastered opening the gate! I went into panic mode..got cookies (are we seeing a theme here!?!?!)...called Clif and Sam....only to find Clif's little face peaking out from behind the barn! Little brat was playing hide and seek! If anyone knows of a horse that could use some personality I'd be happy to donate some of my horses to the needy!


Tess decided that she was working so hard she deserved a break! She stepped on a clip and gave herself nearly a week off! She needs her princess beauty rest! Geez! She started work a few days ago and seems quite good. Funny enough, everytime she gives herself time off she comes back rounder and softer...so as much as I would rather her not make a mess of herself, she seems to benefit from it in some weird way. Wouldn't you know it! Tess also got to XC school with Clif Saturday. I have to say that I am now positive that she is such a different horse. She was happy, focused and forward to her fences...this is most definately not the way she has schooled in the past. This new princess of a mission attitude is quite nice, I think I'd like to keep it! Needless to say I am quite anxious to see how she goes this season! Oh and Clif was good as well on the XC school, he would be so ashamed that I need even tell you this (You should be able to guess!).






Well enjoy this weather! More after Full Gallop!


Hillary







<--- Packed and Ready for Show Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment